Thursday 20 December 2018

Donnie Darko (5 Stars)


"If God controls time, then all time is pre-decided".

I'm continuing today with my mini-marathon of my three favourite films. "Donnie Darko" is in second place. It's a film I could watch every day and never get bored with it. The only problem is that I'd miss out on so many other wonderful films.

I watched it with my son, who's never seen it before. I wasn't sure if he would like it. Mostly he likes action films, whereas "Donnie Darko" is a twisted science-fiction mystery with a plot that's difficult (though not impossible) to understand. I needn't have worried. I looked sideways at him a few times and saw him sitting in awe. This is a film of such depth that it's impossible not to be overwhelmed.


The next time I watch the film I ought to write more about the minor characters. Every named character who has a speaking role, however brief, plays an important part in Donnie's story. They've all been set like perfectly formed stones in a mosaic. The film would be incomplete without any of them.

I also need to write about the religious aspect of the film. Donnie's messianic nature, sacrificing himself to save the world, is obvious, but there are many other subtle references. Donnie is struggling to find God throughout the film. He doesn't succeed in his search, but he feels compelled to do God's will. He's been selected by God to do something that nobody else can do, and God has endowed him with foresight and enhanced physical strength. God rewards him by giving him moments of physical intimacy with Gretchen Ross. It's Donnie's destiny to die alone, but at least he won't die a virgin.

My next review will be more detailed. I hope.

Success Rate:  - 0.3

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.