Friday 21 December 2018

Lost Highway (5 Stars)


This is the third and final film in my mini-marathon. "Lost Highway" is the best film I've ever seen. I've deliberately kept it away from my son Benjamin for years. I've been afraid that he wouldn't understand it. Judging by his reaction after it ended he was impressed by the imagery, but he didn't understand what he'd seen. I'm not saying that to criticise him. I didn't start to understand what it was about until I'd watched it three times.

Does anyone really understand it? After the film was released in 1997 there was a lot of activity in online forums discussing it, with different people giving their theories what it was about. Director David Lynch stayed out of the discussions, until a few years later when he finally said that nobody had got it right. That's a sweeping statement. Nobody at all? How many theories did he read? The majority of the explanations revolve around Fred Madison having a psychotic breakdown to excuse himself for killing his wife. That's obviously incorrect. The correct interpretation of the film depends on whether he killed his wife or not. I don't believe he killed his wife. He was framed. The videotape presented as evidence was supernaturally created by a person who was able to be in two places at once.


The truly evil person in the film is Dick Laurent. He's corrupted Fred's wife by forcing her to watch women being murdered while making snuff films. He's the one who has been judged guilty and has to be executed. Even though the mystery man is the one who pulls the trigger, Fred is the executioner. He's the one who bundles Dick Laurent into a car and drives him into the desert. Maybe the mystery man is the judge, but it's more possible that he's the Devil. After Fred does his work he's abandoned, fleeing from the police, unable to escape.

Even though I feel that I understand the main themes of the film there are still small details that are unclear to me. I'd like to discuss the film with someone who knows and loves it as much as I do.

Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.