Sunday 23 December 2018

The Mask (4½ Stars)


This is another one of the films that I've had neatly alphabetically sorted in my bookcases in the cellar for the last eight years. Neat, tidy and forgotten. I don't remember exactly when I bought this film, but it was probably one of the first films I bought after purchasing my first DVD player in 2003. I know I watched it several times, as was usual for someone with only a small number of films, but I haven't watched it at all since September 2010. That's when I started writing my blog, which is also my diary of what I watched and when. I wish I'd kept a record of my exact viewing habits since 2003. Oh well. Better late than never.

"The Mask" was made in 1994, and it's doubtlessly the best of Jim Carrey's comedy films. I emphasise the word "comedy", because I find his non-comedy films better. He started his career as a comedian, and he's never been able to shake off the comedy tag.

The film is based on comics published by Dark Horse Comics since 1991. The comics are satirical in nature, with a lot of violence. The original screenplay for the film was faithful to the comics, but it was considered that it would be too violent for the cinema. For this reason there was a mood shift, making the film a comedy and keeping the violence to a minimum.


The main character is Stanley Ipkiss, a shy young bank clerk who finds a wooden mask floating in the river. When he puts it on he gains self-confidence and he can do just about anything. He has increased strength and speed, but that's not all. He effectively takes on the characteristics of the Hanna-Barbera cartoon characters, talking and moving in a surreal way.

It's wrong to call him a super-hero when he dons the mask. He has a feeling for what's right and wrong, but he's still selfish. He robs a bank (the bank he works in) to get spending money for his excessive new lifestyle.

The film is a ridiculous farce, but it's highly entertaining. It was a huge box office success and was highly praised by critics. How often does that happen? It's definitely worth watching more than once every eight years.

Success Rate:  + 13.3

Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.