Wednesday 19 December 2018

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (5 Stars)


First of all, I have to make an apology to my regular readers. I'm being visited by two of my children for the next three weeks, so I expect I shall have less time to write my blog. I'll be watching as many films as usual, because they'll be watching films with me, but I shan't have as much time for myself as I usually have. I'll still be writing about every film I watch, but my reviews will be shorter.

I don't have a full viewing schedule for the next three weeks, but I already know what I'll be watching for the next three days. While chatting with my son I found out that he hasn't yet seen my three favourite films, so I'll be watching them with him in reverse order. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" is my third favourite film.

It's a mind-bending science fiction story, but more than anything else it's a moving love story. It's a very untypical role for Jim Carrey. It's not his only serious film, but it's the film in which we see the least of his comic personality. The only comic relief in the film is supplied by Kate Winslet.


Does the film have a message? The message that I take from it is that it's better to remember than forget, but there any many other angles from which it can be watched. Maybe another message is that it's only possible to discover the value of what you have by starting again from the beginning.

The film only one one Academy Award, for the Best Original Screenplay. It should have won more.

Success Rate:  + 1.6

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.