Wednesday 26 December 2018

Free Fire (5 Stars)


I missed this film when it was in the cinema last year. One of my friends – a friend whose opinion I value – told me it was one of the best films of the year, so I bought it last week. Wow! I see what he means. It would probably have made it into my top ten film list for 2017 if I'd seen it.

The film takes place in real time, i.e. the 87 minutes of the film run without interruption. There aren't many films like that. "Phone Booth" is another example.

Four IRA members meet with illicit gun salesmen in an abandoned factory in Boston. Despite mutual mistrust the deal is almost completed, when two of the trading partners recognise one another. The previous evening one of the Irishmen had hit the 17-year-old cousin of one of the gun runners over the head with a bottle, scarring her for life. Despite pleas to remain businesslike the two start shooting at one another, leading to an all out war between the two groups.

There are obvious similarities with "Reservoir Dogs". The two films are close enough to look similar, but not close enough for "Free Fire" to be accused of plagiarism. The films are equally claustrophobic, but "Free Fire" is more violent, elevating the carnage to a level of surreal beauty.

After seeing it today I already feel the need to watch it again. Soon.

Success Rate:  - 1.8

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.