Tuesday 23 April 2019

Carrie [2013 version] (5 Stars)


In my previous reviews I've said that the 1976 version and the 2013 version of Carrie are equally good. After watching them (almost) back-to-back for the first time I have to change my opinion. The new version is better.

While I still think that the two versions are so similar to one another that a remake (or new version) was unnecessary, the new version gives the film more of an edge. To list the improvements:

1. Chloe Grace Moretz is a better actress than Sissy Spacek.

2. Julianne Moore's performance is more deranged.

3. Carrie's powers are steadily developed in the new version, preparing us better for the climax.

4. The climax at the school prom lasts longer.

5. There's less of a pause between the climax at the prom and the aftermath at Carrie's house.

6. The music in the early parts of the first film are annoying. It sounds like a Lifetime movie.

7. I find the gym teacher Miss Desjardin more appealing in the new film. I love her wild dancing at the prom.

I've never read the novel on which this film is based. After watching both films this week I think I ought to. Over the last few months my reading has been restricted to Shakespeare's plays, but I ought to read something more modern.

I don't know whether the 2013 film is based on the book or the 1976 film. That's what makes the difference between a remake and a new version. So many snippets of dialogue are identical that I suspect it's based on the old film, but I shan't know for certain until I read the book.

Success Rate:  + 0.8

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.