Wednesday 3 April 2019

The Last Days of Chez Nous (3 Stars)


This is another film I found on Netflix while searching for films featuring Bruno Ganz. This time I've found a film in which he plays the leading role. The leading male role, that is. This is a feminocentric film, and the female characters are more important than the males.

The film takes place in Australia. It seems like a large city. Maybe someone can recognise the landmarks and tell me where it is. That's just for the sake of my curiosity. The exact location isn't significant to the film.

Bruno Ganz plays Jean Pierre, a Frenchman who's moved to Australia. It's not clear what his job is, if he does one at all. He enjoys life. He enjoys dancing. He enjoys cooking. He's married to an Australian woman called Beth, who writes novels that are successful enough to make some money. Together they have a teenage daughter.

Beth's younger sister Vicki comes to live with them. She's had an abortion which she greatly regrets. Getting pregnant was an accident, but killing her baby was a deliberate choice, and now she feels guilty. Jean Pierre is the only one who understands her. They fall in love with one another.

This film has been highly rated by critics. I can see that it's a good film, with first class acting by all the actors, but it doesn't excite me. As a family drama it doesn't say anything new. Couples split up. It happens. Men fall in love with their wife's sister. It happens. So what? When I watch a film I need to see more happening.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.