Friday 26 April 2019

Suburbicon (4 Stars)


It doesn't matter how perfect a town seems to be. It can only be as good as the people who live in it. Suburbicon, founded in 1947, was designed to be a perfect place to live. There's no heavy traffic, no pollution, no crime, everything is pleasant. But that doesn't change the fact that people are greedy and lustful and selfish. It's easy to cover things up on the outside, but the sin still simmers beneath the surface.

Gardner Lodge (Matt Damon) has a perfect life. He owns a small business, he has a beautiful wife and a smart son. What else could he possibly want? Two things. He wants more money, and he wants his wife's sister. The situation escalates as he finds out that everything comes with a price.

The film was a failure at the box office. I think I can understand why. It's not an easy film to understand. There's a mystery that slowly unravels, and the things that are revealed aren't things we want to know. I can't say more without giving away spoilers. The film has a surreal quality to it, as if it's a fairy tale, not real life. This might be unsettling for many viewers.

I have the feeling this is a film that I'll enjoy more with repeated viewing. I'll watch it again when I have time.

Success Rate:  - 2.1

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.