Saturday 7 December 2019

Friday the 13th [2009] (3 Stars)


I vaguely remember watching and enjoying the first four Friday the 13th films about 15 years ago. At the time I was still married to my second wife, Nicola. A friend lent me a box set containing the films on DVD.

I skipped the next seven films and went straight to the 12th film, which is simply called "Friday the 13th", the same name as the first film. I can't be sure without having watched all the films, but it seems to be a partial reboot of the franchise, continuing directly from the first film.

For me this is an example of what a slasher film shouldn't be like. There are a lot of deaths, but they come too quickly after one another. There's hardly any suspense. Watch a film like "Scream" or "I know what you did last summer" to see what a good slasher film should be like. An added problem is that the picture is too dark in the night scenes. That's something that modern directors and cinematographers often get wrong. They forget that even in a night scene the viewer should be able to clearly see what's happening.

The only thing that made the film enjoyable was the frequent nude and topless scenes. Please don't misunderstand me, I love to see nudity in films, but in this case it was an obvious attempt to prop up a weak film.

The film was a box office success, but the critics hated it. I'm on the side of the critics.

Success Rate:  + 2.9

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.