Thursday 12 December 2019

Klaus Schulze: Dosburg Online (1997)


Klaus Schulze - Dosburg Online

KS Canon 78

Track Listing:

1. L'Age Core 11:50
2. Requiem fürs Revier 15:01
3. Groove'n'Bass 06:16
4. Get Sequenced 03:28
5. The Power of Moog 04:47
6. Up, Up and Away 08:21
7. From Dawn Till Dusk 04:01
8. The Art of Sequencing 18:21
9. Primavera 07:02

Notes:
(1) Jörg Schaaf plays keyboards and sequencers on all tracks.
(2) Roelof Oostwoud sings on tracks 2 and 9.

Rating: 4½ Stars

This is the 33rd solo album recorded by Klaus Schulze. There's another big jump in the official numbering from the last solo album I reviewed, "Are you sequenced?", which was the 52nd album. It was Klaus Schulze's 50th birthday on 4th August 1997. To celebrate he released a 25-CD set of previously unreleased music. The gimmick of the set was that it contained exactly 1947 minutes of music. (1947 was his birth year). That means that the CDs in the set had an average length of 77 minutes 52 seconds each. KDM must have done a lot of juggling and rearranging to fill the set. The set contained 14 albums of studio recordings, five albums of live recordings and six mixed live/studio albums. These 25 albums were included in KDM's official numbering of the Klaus Schulze canon, even though it was only a limited release. The music from these CDs has all been rereleased as part of the "La Vie Electronique" series, which I'll review later. I admit that KDM's numbering is awkward, but I'll adhere to it rather than invent my own numbers.

The music was recorded live at a concert in Duisburg, Germany on 17th May 1997 and remixed in the studio.

The music is of mixed quality. My overall rating of 4½ stars is the average of four stars for tracks 1, 7 and 9, three stars for track 2, and five stars for the remaining tracks. Roelof Oostwoud's vocals annoy me on track 2. According to the liner notes, he improvised the lyrics, and all he can think of is trite slogans. On the other hand, the tracks 3 to 6, which form a single piece of music, are the best I've heard from Klaus Schulze for years.

6 comments:

  1. Jubilee Edition is not exactly 1947 minutes.
    Times added from rear cover of each CD is 1941:19
    Times added each tracks taken from booklet is 1939:24
    Times added from display of my player is 1948:10
    At least last calculation can be discussed.
    Best regards
    Greg Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was only repeating what KDM said. I never checked the exact length for myself. The difference between your CD player (which is the correct time) and the times printed on the CDs and booklets must be a printing error. On the other hand, don't CDs have a space of 2 seconds, which is added to the first track by most CD players? That would reduce your total by 50 seconds, making it 1947:20.

      I was incorrect saying that it's 1947 minutes of music. The CDs were padded with some interviews, making up about 20 minutes.

      Thanks a lot for your comment. It's nice to know someone actually reads my post, rather than just seeing my post in the forum and clicking Like :)

      Delete
  2. Now I wonder: which album would KDM consider KS Canon 79, 80, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KDM numbers the Ultimate Edition 46 to 50 as 79 to 83.

      Delete
    2. Is the bonus CD of Contemporary Works II part of the Canon as well?

      Delete
    3. The last CD that KDM numbered as part of his official canon was "Live @ Klangart 2", 2001, number 91. Contemporary Works II was released in 2002, so none of the CDs are included in his canon listing. I'll number the CDs myself as I get to them.

      Obviously, it makes things a mess including the limited edition box sets in the canon. If I were numbering everything myself, I'd do it differently. I'll wait for KDM to renumber everything :)

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.