Tuesday 5 May 2020

General: Coronavirus Slowdown


My blog has been hit by the Coronavirus. This means there will be less posts in the coming months. There have already been a few days without film reviews.

Let me explain.

I live in the same house as my four-year-old grandson, Oliver. I'd love to publish photos of him, I have hundreds on my phone, but my daughter has said she doesn't want me to. She thinks the photos might be used by paedophiles. I disagree, but it's her child, so I'll do what she wants.

Anyway, my daughter works four hours a day, from eight till twelve. Until February my daily rhythm was that I brought him to kindergarten at 8:30, I picked him up at 12:30, and then I looked after him for a few hours while my daughter was taking a nap after work. At some point he also fell asleep. Perfect. I scheduled my day around him.

My daughter is married, but her husband is only with her at the weekend.

Now things have changed. The Coronavirus has closed kindergartens, so I have to look after Oliver in the morning. I look after him in the afternoon as well. It's all very pleasant, playing with him or going for walks, but it takes up a lot of time and energy. And I can tell you, he has a lot more energy than me. Added to this, he's recently stopped having an afternoon nap. In fact, he sleeps very little. He's awake every day until 10 pm or later. Even when his mother is at home, he comes upstairs to me. I'm more interesting. When I finally have time to sit and watch a film, I'm often too tired and need to collapse into bed.

Please don't misunderstand me. I love my grandson. I'm happy to spend time with him every day. Four hours a day is fine, six hours is fine, but playing with him 10 to 12 hours a day is too much. I need more time for myself. I'll be glad when the Coronavirus lockdown is over and the kindergartens are open again. Until then there's a blog slowdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.