Thursday 7 May 2020

The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik-Yak (5 Stars)


When I watched this film two years ago I said that I doubted there would be enough interest for the film to be remastered for Blu-ray. I was wrong. I'm holding a special edition Blu-ray in my hand, jam packed with hours of special features. I watched some of them today, and I'll have to go back and watch the rest soon. The little that I watched was fascinating.

Brent and Tawny in 1984

Brent and Tawny in 2019

It's fascinating to see the two lead actors, Brent Huff and Tawny Kitaen, reunited after 35 years. Tawny says that it's the first time she's watched the film since it was made, and she's overwhelmed. She can appreciate it as a fan, rather than looking at herself. Brent has less to say about it, at least in the featurette I watched today. It's possible that he talks more in the full commentary, which I plan to listen to soon. The Blu-ray has two commentary tracks, one by the director, the other by Brent and Tawny. It's the latter that I'm most interested in.


I've watched the film at least four times, but today is the first time that I paid attention to the performance of Bernadette Lafont, who plays the Queen of the Yik-Yak. I don't know her from any other films, so I had to read up on her. It didn't surprise me to learn that she was the film's biggest actress, while Brent Huff and Tawny Kitaen were both newcomers. She had already made more than 30 films in France, and she went on to make another 90 films until her death in 2013. She received many awards in her lifetime, some for her film roles, some for her contribution to French cinema. Without wanting to disrespect Brent and Tawny, she stands head and shoulders above the other actors in the film. I'm sure they would agree with me. Maybe they say something about her in the commentary I need to listen to.


Bernadette Lafont closely inspects Brent Huff's assets.


The other women are scared to look, but Bernadette checks him out from all sides. She's the Queen, she can do what she wants.


Bernadette plays her role straight, well aware that she will cause much laughter. After all, who could take this costume seriously?

The film's name has been shortened to "Gwendoline" for the Blu-ray release. That's understandable. No man wants to get his Yik-Yaks in a twist.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.