Wednesday 20 May 2020

Rocketman (5 Stars)


A few days ago I received an email telling me that "Rocketman" has been added to Amazon Prime Video in Germany. I knew I had to watch it fast. For those who aren't aware, Amazon and Netflix are different in the way they offer streaming content. If Netflix adds a film to its library, we can assume that it will be available for a few years at least. If Amazon adds a film to its free-to-view library, we can't assume that at all. Many films are only free for three months or less. After that the customer has to pay to watch. I've experienced that many times in the roughly five years that I've been an Amazon Prime customer. I add a film to my watch list; I forget about it for a few weeks; then I go back and oops! it's not free any more. My advice to my readers, wherever you live, is that you don't put off watching films with Amazon Prime Video. If something interests you, watch it today, not tomorrow.

"Rocketman" was one of my favourite films of 2019, so I was anxious to see it again. However, I have to complain about the way it's been presented by Amazon. I'm talking about the subtitle options. The three options offered are English, German and No Subtitles. The first two options give subtitles in the desired language, but I chose the third option, and it doesn't work properly. There are no subtitles when people are talking, but as soon as Taron Egerton or anyone else starts singing there are German subtitles which can't be turned off.


With the exception of a few singles that were hits in my final year of school, I've never been a fan of Elton John's music. If you want to know which songs I like, look at the track listing of his first greatest hits album, released in 1974. This album is no longer available, but newer albums have been released which contain all ten of these songs, plus others. It's the others that I don't like.

The film itself is brilliant. Taron Egerton excels in the way he brings Elton John to life. I can't think of anyone else who could have played the role. The only criticism I can make of the film is that it doesn't tell me enough about Bernie Taupin. Jamie Bell portrays him as a likeable character and a good friend who always stood by Elton John, but at the end of the film I still don't know who he is. I'm sure that's deliberate. In real life Bernie Taupin always stands in the background, hidden behind Elton John's fame, so why should he be any different in the film?

I'm glad I saw the film on Amazon today, but once is enough. Next time I watch it, it has to be without subtitles.

One last question to my readers: after watching the film, don't you feel like slapping Elton's father? I don't understand how any father can subject his son to such emotional cruelty.

Success Rate:  + 2.9

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.