Wednesday 11 June 2014

Captain America (4½ Stars)


The full name of this film is "Captain America: The first Avenger". I refuse to use that title because it's wrong. All Marvel fans know that Captain America was the sixth Avenger, since he didn't join the Avengers until the fourth issue. The other five founded the Avengers together, but if a first Avenger really has to be named it was Ant-Man, because he was the one who suggested the group.

Today is only the second time I've watched the film. The first time was two years ago. After reading what I said back then I think I was too harsh. I was shocked by all the deviations from the comic books. But if I look at the film in its own right it's quite good. Even the scenes of Captain America and his Howling Commandos are acceptable. There is fine acting by all, especially Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull and Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter. Chris Evans is good in the title role, of course, but the other two overshadow him.

Yes, I change my mind about films sometimes. If you're a regular reader of my blog you'll just have to get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.