Friday 30 December 2016

General: Top Films of 2016


For the second year in a row I've decided to post a list of the 10 best films of the year. Before you read it and angrily write that I shouldn't have omitted <fill-in-the-blank>, let me make a few remarks:

To qualify for the list I must have seen the film in the cinema in 2016. Any film that I didn't see will not be included. Maybe I decided not to see a film. Maybe I missed a film because I was sick in bed and couldn't go out. Maybe a film wasn't shown in my local cinemas. Whatever the reason, if I didn't see a film in the cinema it won't be in the list.

By the same reasoning, it's relevant when I see the film. If a film is shown over the New Year period from December to January (like "Star Wars: Rogue One") the film might be included in one year or the other, depending on when I go to see it. In the same way, some films, particularly the Oscar contenders, are released in the USA in one year but not shown in England until the next. That's why I listed "Birdman" and "Whiplash" in my top 10 list for 2015.

1. Doctor Strange

This is much better than the first Doctor Strange film, made way back in 1978. I can't wait to own it on Blu-ray.

2. Deadpool

As Marvel films go, "Doctor Strange" and "Deadpool" couldn't be less alike, but they're both masterpieces in their own way.

3. Captain America: Civil War

Yet another Marvel film! After not including any Marvel films in last year's list Marvel gets the top three this year. There was a fourth Marvel film this year, "X-Men: Apocalypse", but it didn't make the list.

4. Tokyo Heidi

A wonderful Swiss film, with dialog in a mixture of German, English, Japanese and Chinese.

5. The Girl with all the Gifts

At least I have one English film in the list this year!

6. Love and Peace

This is a 2015 Japanese film directed by Sion Sono. Last year he made five films, and of the three I've seen so far this is the weakest, but it's the only one I saw in the cinema, so it's the only film that qualifies for the top 10 list. I made the rules, so I have to keep them.

7. My Big Night

This is a 2015 Spanish film directed by Alex de la Iglesia. It wasn't shown in German cinemas until this year.

8. Race

The fascinating true story of Jesse Owens.

9. A Hologram for the King

Yet another English language film by the brilliant German director Tom Tykwer.

10. The Hateful Eight

Any other Quentin Tarantino film would have topped the list, but this is his weakest film so far and just manages to creep in in 10th place.



That's my list for this year. I've seen 77 films in the cinema, and these are the best of the best. I welcome top 10 lists from my readers. Please leave them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.