Sunday 31 October 2021

Halloween [1978] (5 Stars)


My regular readers know that I'm forgetful. When I watched "Halloween" three years ago I suggested that I would make it a new tradition to watch it every year on October 31st. Today I finally remembered it. I'll try to make it a regular feature every year on this date, but I'm ashamed to promise in case I forget it again.

"Halloween" wasn't the first film about a seemingly unkillable serial killer who attacks random victims, but it set the pattern for all subsequent movies. To quote Wikipedia, "Slasher films typically adhere to a specific formula: a past wrongful action causes severe trauma that is reinforced by a commemoration or anniversary that reactivates or re-inspires the killer".

There's nothing wrong with slasher films having the same structure. It's not even wrong that they should be predictable. All that matters is that they should be full of suspense and make the viewer afraid. Some films do it better than others. "Halloween" is a classic, and none of its sequels live up to it.

Success Rate:  + 213.4

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.