Wednesday 20 October 2021

OSS-117: From Africa With Love (4 Stars)


This is the 16th film in the Stuttgart Fantasy Film Festival.

It's the third in a series of films starring Jean Dujardin as Hubert Bonisseur, agent OSS-117 in the French secret service. I'd never heard of him before today. My friends sitting with me in the festival were surprised. They all knew the films. Have I been missing out?

The film is a parody of the early James Bond films. It's not a laugh-out-loud comedy like "Johnny English", the humour is subtle. It's more of a satire than a comedy.

The film takes place in 1981. OSS-117 is sent to an unnamed African country to locate another agent who's gone missing. He also has to prevent the rebel forces from staging a coup, because the president is on good terms with France. OSS-117 is sexist, racist and homophobic. That's what makes him a good secret agent.

As soon as the film finished, there were conversations about Daniel Craig. There was a general consensus that Jean Dujardin is a better actor.

I need to watch the first two films.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.