Sunday 17 October 2021

Gunpowder Milkshake (4 Stars)


This is the first film in the Stuttgart Fantasy Film Festival.

I'm excited to be able to visit the Stuttgart Fantasy Film Festival again this year. I missed it last year. It took place, but the restrictions imposed due to the Coronavirus were so strict that I didn't want to go. This year there are no restrictions, apart from having to provide proof of being vaccinated when I visit the festival. I can deal with that.

As always, I only write short reviews for the films in the film festival. That's for practical reasons. Including travelling time, I'm away from home for about 12 hours every day. When I get home I'm tired and don't want to spend too much time writing. For that reason I've imposed a 10 minute limit on the time I spend for each post.

"Gunpowder Milkshake" has been compared with "John Wick", but I see more similarity with "Kill Bill". The main similarity with "John Wick" is the organisations of killers that exist side by side with our normal lives. The main similarity with "Kill Bill" is that the main assassins are female.

Sam (Karen Gillan) works for an organisation known only as the Firm. They pay her to kill, and she's good at her job. The trouble is that she's too soft-hearted. She's sent to retrieve money stolen from the Firm and kill the man who stole it. She finds out that the man only stole the money because his eight-year-old daughter is being held hostage. Instead of returning the money to the Firm, she gives it to the gang holding the daughter. This makes her a liability, and the Firm's bosses decide to kill her.

When the film started I thought it would be a five-star film. I like girls with guns. I dropped the rating a point because some of the action are just too ridiculous. There are fight scenes that are totally infeasible. I definitely want to watch it again, so I might change my mind. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.