Wednesday 27 July 2022

Evita (5 Stars)


"Evita" is a film that I watch again and again. There's a diminishing return: the more often I watch it, the less I'll be able to write in my new reviews without repeating myself.

The more I watch "Evita", the more fascinated I become with the unnamed character played by Antonio Banderas. In the credits he's listed as Ché, but I call him unnamed because he isn't given a name in the film itself. He's an abstract Voice of the People. He's an incorporation of the unbiased thinking man. He's not anti-Evita, but he's not pro-Evita either. He judges her positively or negatively from case to case, depending on what she's doing.

I can relate to that. I like to think of myself in the same way. So many people, including my friends, blindly follow one school of thought or another. They see the world in terms of black and white. The best example is the 2016 Brexit referendum. Some of my friends wanted to leave the EU as if it were the only logical step to take, while others were just as extreme in seeing remaining in the EU as the only sensible decision. The country was divided into Brexiteers and Remainers. I was one of the few people who weighed up both alternatives impartially. When I finally decided to vote to remain in the EU it was because of many hours spent weighing the pros and cons. Was my decision right? I can't say whether I was right or wrong, but it was the best decision I could make based on the limited amount of information offered to me.

The months leading up to the referendum and the following years until Brexit took place were an ugly time. People were insulting one another. The ones who were the most guilty were the Remainers. Unable to discuss with the Brexiteers, they resorted to polemics. They called the Brexiteers racists or stupid. This didn't do anything to persuade the Brexiteers, it hardened them in their beliefs.

It's now six years since the referendum and two years since the accomplishment of Brexit. The subject still hasn't died on the Remainer side. They're still in a state of shock that they lost the vote. Whenever something negative happens they're fast to shout "I told you so". When something positive happens they remain quiet. What they don't understand is that it wasn't the Brexiteers who took Britain out of the EU, it was the British people. It was a close vote, 52% to 48%, but that's the way democracy works; the majority decides, even if it's by the slightest of margins. We, the British people, decided to leave the EU, and now we have to live with the consequences. It's irrelevant that I voted with the minority. As soon as the results were announced in June 2016 the discussions were over, as far as I was concerned. I'm not an anarchist who shouts "Not my President", or equivalent statements. The people decide, and I'm one of the people. In the case of an unwanted president (or prime minister) there will be another chance for the people to vote differently. In the case of Brexit, the EU feels burnt and will probably never accept another membership bid, whatever the British population votes.

I'm the Vox Populi, the Voice of the People. That's my position, and I'm proud of it. By taking a middle position I'll make enemies on both sides. That won't stop me standing up for the truth as I see it. I emphasise the words "as I see it". I'm not infallible. I may be wrong, but I'll still stand by my opinions until someone proves me wrong with logical arguments.

Success Rate:  + 0.6

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.