Friday 1 July 2022

The Trip (4½ Stars)



Sometimes I'm glad I live in Germany. It makes things easier for me as a film fan. The English film market, both for cinemas and home video, is geared towards films from England and America. The German film market also draws films from all over Europe, films that aren't available in England. "The Trip" is a good example. It's a Norwegian film starring Noomi Rapace. Her co-star Aksel Hennie is supposedly a very successful actor in Norway, but I've never heard of him until now. The first impression I have of him is positive.

Lars is a director of television soaps. His wife Lisa is an actress. They have no respect for one another's careers. Lars says that Lisa is a poor actress, while Lisa says that making television soaps is a job that requires no talent. She may be right. What director would voluntarily make daily soaps if he had enough talent to do something else?

Lars has discovered that his wife has had an affair with another actor, so he wants to kill her. He suggests a weekend in their seaside cabin, planning to batter her to death and dispose of her body. What he doesn't know is that she also wants to kill him. She's fed up of his gambling debts eating up their savings.


The calm before the storm. The married couple enjoy a steak with a bottle of wine. They talk politely, planning to kill one another after nightfall.

The trouble is that they're not alone in their cabin. Three escaped convicts are using it as a hideaway. Despite hating one another, Lars and Lisa have to unite against the home intruders. The film develops into one of the most violent movies I've ever seen. It's not a horror film, but it has more blood than the goriest horror films.

I've only deducted a half star because there's an (attempted) rape scene which lasts too long for my tastes. I found it unsettling. Maybe I'll like the film more the next time I watch it, now that I've got over my initial shock. With the exception of this one scene it's a first class film.



Addendum on Saturday, 2nd July 2022

I've just been told that this film is available on Netflix in Britain and America. That's great news. It means that you don't have to miss out on it after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.