Monday 13 March 2023

General: Academy Awards 2023


Yesterday was the biggest film event of the year, the Academy Awards, commonly known as the Oscars. Either yesterday or this morning, depending on your time zone. In Germany the Oscars started at 1 am today.

I have a confession to make, something that might surprise my readers. Today is the first time that I've watched the Oscar celebrations in more than 15 years. I have a good excuse. Most years the Oscars were broadcast on a television channel or web site that I would have had to pay for. Some years I started to watch the Oscars, but I fell asleep. Sorry, I'm a lightweight. This year everything was ideal. The Oscars were broadcast on the free television channel ProSieben, and I took a long afternoon nap before it started. I was full of energy.

ProSieben had a red carpet broadcast that started at 11:30 pm German time. It was hosted by Steven Gätjen, accompanied by the American television presenter Grae Drake. Mostly he was running around trying to interview the stars as they arrived. It wasn't always possible. There were a lot of reporters fighting over the top stars.

What disturbed me most is that it was repeatedly said that the Academy should choose Michelle Yeoh as Best Actress for the sake of diversity. All I can say is RUBBISH. I don't swear, otherwise I would have used a stronger word. I always get annoyed when people say the Oscars should be more racially diverse. I wanted Michelle Yeoh to be awarded an Oscar as well, not because of her race, but because she's the best actress.

It's possible that non-white actors and directors are at a disadvantage in the film industry. I don't know. But that's not an issue for the Oscars. The Oscars are awarded to the most talented actors, regardless of race. To the best of my knowledge, the Oscars haven't been racially biased for as long as I've been watching them, the last 25 years. Maybe there's a bias against films not made in English, but even that was overcome when "Parasite" was awarded the Best Film award three years ago. And don't forget that "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" also won several Oscars in 2001. That was also a film that starred Michelle Yeoh as the lead actress. Coincidence?

"Everything everywhere all at once" swept the Oscars this year. It was nominated for Oscars in ten categories, of which it won seven. 


Jamie Lee Curtis was awarded the Oscar as Best Supporting Actress in "Everything everywhere all at once". I have mixed feelings about this. After 45 years as an actress she deserved to be recognised, but I don't think she was the best supporting actress this year.


I think the award should have been given to Angela Bassett for her performance in "Wakanda Forever". That's just my opinion.

In 2015 I wrote a post about the fashion highlights of the Academy Awards. I wanted to do the same this year, but it's not worth it. This year there weren't as many spectacular costumes. Look at the photos in that post and you'll see what I mean. In 2015 there were many outstanding costumes and outstandingly bad costumes. This year it's all average.


I'll show just a few photos. Janelle Monae was the most beautiful woman at the Oscars, in my opinion. Together with Kate Hudson, she presented the awards for Best Sound and Best Original Song.


Here's another photo of Janelle.


Ashley Graham was the second most beautiful woman at the Oscars.


Who comes third? Cate Blanchett? Maybe. Something about her face is bewitching.

I'm hoping there will be enough spectacular costumes at next year's Academy Awards for me to make a larger post. Let's wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.