Tuesday 21 March 2023

The Mummy Returns (4½ Stars)


This is the film that launched Dwayne Johnson's acting career. It was made in 2001, at a time when I regularly watched the WWE on television. He was known as The Rock, and the wrestling commentators gave frequent updates on the progress of the filming. At the time I didn't take it seriously. I thought to myself, "Yet another wrestler making a fool of himself as an actor. Why can't he stick to wrestling?" After all, there had never been a wrestler who'd become a good actor.

"The Mummy Returns" wasn't a good film to judge his prowess as an actor. It was a non-speaking role. A year later he reprised his role in "The Scorpion King". I've honestly forgotten what I thought of his acting, because I didn't like the film much. It's been almost 20 years since I saw it on television, so maybe I should give it another chance. After that I forgot about Dwayne Johnson as an actor. He made quite a lot of films, but I didn't bother watching them. It wasn't until I saw "San Andreas" in 2015 that I realised how good he is as an actor. Since then I've gone back and watched some of his older films, and I've always been impressed, whether he's been playing serious or comedy roles.

As a sequel, "The Mummy Returns" is a highly competent film. It has a good balance between action and comedy. It's not quite as good as the first film, but almost.


Yesterday my son said that my blog is superfluous because ChatGPT can write reviews for me. So I tried it with a couple of films. The results were adequate, but you have to understand how they're generated. ChatGPT has no opinion on the films itself, it just does a summary of reviews on the web. As such, ChatGPT's film reviews are plagiarism. As an example, here's its review of "The Mummy Returns.



"The Mummy Returns" is a fun and entertaining action-adventure movie that offers a thrilling ride for fans of the genre. The film is a sequel to the 1999 hit "The Mummy", and features the return of Brendan Fraser as adventurer Rick O'Connell and Rachel Weisz as his wife, Evelyn.

The plot of the movie revolves around the return of the mummy Imhotep (Arnold Vosloo), who seeks to resurrect his lover, Anck-Su-Namun, and take over the world. Along the way, Rick and Evelyn must navigate treacherous terrain, battle fierce enemies, and unlock ancient secrets to stop Imhotep and save their son from his clutches.

One of the strengths of "The Mummy Returns" is its blend of action, humour, and adventure. The film never takes itself too seriously, and the banter between Fraser and Weisz adds a lightness and wit to the proceedings. The action scenes are well-choreographed and exciting, with impressive visual effects that bring the ancient Egyptian setting to life.

The film also benefits from a strong supporting cast, including John Hannah as Evelyn's brother, who provides comic relief, and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in his film debut as the Scorpion King, a fearsome warrior who adds an extra layer of danger to the proceedings.

Overall, "The Mummy Returns" is a fun and entertaining movie that delivers on its promise of action, adventure, and thrills. While it may not be the most original or ground-breaking film in the genre, it's a solid sequel that will satisfy fans of the first movie and leave them eager for more.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.