Tuesday 28 March 2023

An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn (2 Stars)


When I watched this film at the Fantasy Film Festival five years ago I was totally confused. It's such a weird film that I refused to rate it, which is something I rarely do. Out of the 4300 films I've written about in my blog, I've only declined to give four a rating. That's less than 0.1%. (I'm not including "The Amazing Maurice", which I didn't rate because I was too tired to pay attention). Today I finally decided to watch it again.


Lulu Danger is torn between two men that she loves, and she's married to a third. The first is a man she had an affair with two years ago, Beverly Luff Linn. He left her by pretending to be dead. That's nasty. He went swimming in the ocean, then hid behind a rock, and he let everyone think he'd drowned. Now he's back in town to perform a concert at a hotel, and she's determined to see him again.


The other man is Colin. She's drawn to him because he lives a life of danger, but she doesn't get too close when she finds that he's a socially awkward virgin. Her husband Shane has robbed her brother's store, wearing a blond wig as a disguise, but he was recognised. So her brother hired Colin to break into Shane's house and steal the money back. Lulu falls for Colin and runs away with him, saying they should keep the money for themselves. They hide in the hotel where Beverly is due to perform and wait for the evening of the concert.

But there are complications. Beverly is now in a homosexual relationship with a fellow performer. Colin wants to make himself more appealing to Lulu by losing his virginity, but when he boasts about having sex with a prostitute in the hotel basement it has the opposite effect.

What annoys me most about the film is Beverly's speech impediment. He can't speak, he only grunts, except for when he's singing on stage. Is that supposed to be funny? It's worse than someone who can only say "I am Groot".

I realise that I'm in the minority by not liking it. The film received loud applause at the Fantasy Film Festival. I don't understand why. Please, if any of my readers like the film, please leave a comment telling me what's good about it.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.