Tuesday 2 May 2023

Flash Gordon (5 Stars)


The German television channel Kabel Eins has picked a series of films, 24 so far, that it calls the "Best of Cinema". I don't know what criteria were used to select the films, but most of them are films that I consider very good. They're shown once a month in my local cinema, and I try to go to all of them, if my time allows. It's a chance to see classic films on the big screen again.

"Flash Gordon" is a classic film, and more than that, it's a cult film. It's trashy and it's camp, but it's a special film that everyone should watch at least once. According to my blog, I haven't watched it since 2010. That's too long to leave it gathering dust on my shelf. I'd forgotten just how camp it is. The bright colours are an assault on my eyes, but I like it.

Emperor Ming, who considers himself the ruler of the universe, discovers the Earth and begins to destroy it out of boredom. A scientist called Dr. Zarkov flies to meet Ming to negotiate with him, taking the football quarterback Flash Gordon with him. As an absolute despot, Ming has no interest in negotiation. He tries (unsuccessfully) to erase Zarkov's brain. Flash rises to the challenge of standing against Ming. He encourages the inhabitants of other planets to unite in a battle against Ming.

Flash Gordon first appeared in newspaper strips that were first printed in 1934. In 1936 film serials of Flash Gordon's adventures were made. I have the serials on DVD, but it's a long time since I watched them. I prefer the film, which was made in 1980.

It was planned to remake "Flash Gordon" as an animated film, directed by Taika Waititi, but he's recently decided to make it as a live action film. That's a good choice. Taika knows what he's doing. He's hesitant, because he considers the 1980 Flash Gordon film to be one of his favourite films, and he doesn't want to ruin its legacy. I think he's the right director for Flash Gordon, but I hope he won't make any more Thor films.

Success Rate:  + 0.3

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.