Saturday 20 April 2024

Cobweb (5 Stars)


This is the eleventh film in the Stuttgart Nights Festival.

"Cobweb" is a film within a film. The director Kim Ki-yeo, called Director Kim by all, has just completed a film called "Cobweb". It's a wrap. But the day after its completion he has ideas about improving the film by changing the ending. His films have all been called lightweight trash by critics, but his new ideas will make it a masterpiece.

So he tries to refilm the final scenes. But his studio refuses. The actors have already gone on to film other projects. What can he do to continue with his film?

I admit that I found the opening scenes boring. "What's this all about?" But as it continued I was more and more drawn in by the zany humour. I was soon sitting in awe, waiting to see what would happen next. I was also trying to figure out what "Cobweb" (the inner film) was about, but it just confused me. In the original ending a woman killed her husband. In the revised ending another woman killed him. The scattered footage just gave clues that are intended to puzzle the audience.

This is the best film in the festival so far. I can't wait to see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.