Wednesday 3 April 2024

Immaculate (2 Stars)


Sydney Sweeney plays Cecelia, a young American woman who enters a convent in Italy. The convent contains a hospital for elderly nuns who are in their last years and are no longer able to serve. Many of the old nuns are demented.

Cecelia is an outsider in the convent. Everyone else is Italian. Things change when she's discovered to be pregnant, despite still being a virgin. The other nuns begin to worship her, and it's expected that she will be the mother of the new saviour.

I'll stop there. I have nothing against religious films. "Immaculate" could have been a good film, but many of the final scenes were so horrific that I felt like walking out. Somehow I remained until the end. I was surprised that there was applause when the film ended. How could anyone possibly have enjoyed the film? It's well crafted, a visual splendour, but so tasteless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.