Saturday 20 July 2019

A Chinese Odyssey, Part Two (1 Star)


I watched the first part of the Chinese Odyssey on Netflix two months ago. I hesitated to watch the second part, because I wasn't overly impressed. Today I watched the second part, and I was horrified. Whatever appealed to me in the first part is missing in the second. It's even more confusing. Maybe, just maybe, I could enjoy it if I sat watching it with a Chinese friend who could explain what's happening.

All I can say is that at the end of the first part the Monkey King travels 500 years into the past to save the life of his lover, the demon Jing Jing. When he arrives his lover's sister falls in love with him, but it's complicated by the fact that the two demons share the same body. The Monkey King meets his former self, and... I'm not sure. I have no idea what was going on. I read the plot summary on Wikipedia, but not even that could help me.

If you're one of my Chinese readers, please explain the film to me. Both parts. Write as much as you can in the comments box below. I'd appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.