Wednesday 3 July 2019

Staged Killer (3 Stars)


This is a Netflix original film directed by Christopher Ray.

At college Jake and Naomi put on an amateur talk show, Campus Cool, in a local diner to entertain the students. Jake wanted to date Naomi, but she was more interested in the football stars.

10 years later the two have parted ways. Naomi is now a professional in the talk show business, with a daily television show, "Mornings with Naomi and Robert". Jake sees her on television and wants to get back together with her. He poisons Robert's health drink, and he offers his services as her new co-host. Then he attempts to kill Naomi's husband, and anyone else who gets in his way.

Usually I enjoy Christopher Ray's films. Today I felt disappointed. He doesn't have the same skill for making thrillers that he does for his usual action films and monster movies. I didn't feel that I knew the characters. They were hardly introduced, and there was nothing sympathetic about them. When they were killed I didn't care.

I also have a problem with the film's setting. Even in the days when I used to watch television, I didn't like talk shows, especially not the daytime shows with celebrity guests. The whole atmosphere is shallow, and I find the hosts distasteful. The director should have put a lot of work into persuading me that Naomi isn't shallow, but he did the opposite. At college she preferred football players. Brawn before brain.

My suggestion to Christopher Ray, if he's reading this, is that he sticks to what he does best, his action films. If he's determined to make more thrillers, he should put a lot more work into the character development. I expect the best from him. I like his films, and I'll carry on watching whatever he makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.