Wednesday 17 July 2019

The Matrix (5 Stars)


The remastered version of "The Matrix" has been shown in cinemas around the world to celebrate its 20th anniversary. This is something that should happen more often. What I mean is, old films should be shown in cinemas more often. If a film was a good film five years, ten years or 20 years ago, it'll still be a good film today. There used to be a cinema in Stuttgart that only showed films of the past. It usually showed a different film every day. I remember that it used to show "Faster Pussycat Kill Kill" on a regular basis, about once a month.

Admittedly, I'm talking about a cinema that closed more than 20 years ago. That was the time before DVD's, so there was more of a market to watch old films. Today there are Blu-ray discs, and true cinema fans have large television sets, but it's no comparison to what I watched tonight. Seeing "The Matrix" on a 14.2 meters x 6.6 meters screen overwhelmed me.

The cinema was almost full tonight. I assume that most of the people in attendance were fans of the film, but there were a few young women sitting near me who hadn't seen it before. I envy them. I didn't see "The Matrix" in the cinema when it was first released in 1999. I saw it a year later on television. It's a film that was made to be watched on the big screen, and seeing it this way for the first time must be an experience.

Watching it today I noticed, more than ever before, how Laurence Fishburne is overacting. He speaks slowly, deliberately, enigmatically. Normally I wouldn't consider this to be good acting, but it's perfect for this film. Anything else would have spoilt the effect.

I got into a discussion with a friend about the sequels. He doesn't think they should have been made. I disagree. I've already discussed this subject briefly in the past, but maybe I can go into it in more detail next time I watch "The Matrix Reloaded". Maybe what I've already written is enough. I don't know. I'll have to read it again to make up my mind.

Success Rate:  + 5.4

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.