Saturday 27 July 2019

Sink Or Swim (3 Stars)


Before I went to the cinema today I thought this film was a remake of the British comedy film "Swimming With Men". After seeing it, I'm not so sure. It deals with a similar subject, but it's so different that I'm not sure if it was a deliberate remake or not. Both films are about middle-aged men forming a team of synchronised swimmers. Both films have women trainers. Both films show the team going on to compete in the world championship for male synchronised swimming.

The British film is much better made. It concentrates on the person of just one swimmer, so we get to know him and his personal crises. The French film gives equal time to all the swimmers, to most of them anyway. The film isn't long enough to present the personal lives of eight men, so it falls flat and we end up not knowing any of them. The French film goes out of its way to be humorous, whereas the British film relies on subtle humour that will make the viewer grin, rather than laugh out loud. I like the subtle approach more. It's funny enough just seeing ageing overweight men in swimming trunks thinking they can take on fit young athletes.

Today I noticed people in the cinema laughing during the film. Maybe it really is funnier, but I could appreciate the humour in the British film more, even though I don't remember anyone laughing. Or maybe it's just because I'm British. Whatever the reason, I gave "Swimming With Men" four stars, but I can only give "Sink Or Swim" three stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.