Thursday 4 July 2019

Song To Song (1 Star)


I very rarely give a film a one star rating. For me that's rock bottom, it means that the film has no redeeming qualities. Whenever I see a film I don't like I deliberately search for things I can praise about it. I did that today when I watched "Song To Song".

The film is about love and music. Those are two topics I like. In both cases, the film is about them, but we don't see them. There are big concerts, and we see artists like Iggy Pop, Johnny Rotten and Patti Smith talking backstage, but we don't see them perform. There are couples who say they love one another, but we don't see any passion. It's all so sterile.

But what is the film really about? What does the director want to say? If the film has a message, I can't see it. Supposedly the film's original cut lasted eight hours, but it was shortened to two hours for the theatrical release. Maybe the eight hour version would have explained more. Or maybe it would have been four times as boring.

Despite the abundance of great actors, I sat in front of the screen feeling bored. It's painful to even write about it, so I'll stop here.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.