Thursday 18 July 2019

Blues Brothers (5 Stars)


I've known about this film for years, but I never watched it until today. All I can ask is, why did I wait so long? It's an incredible film on so many different levels. I love the action, I love the comedy, I love the car chases, I love the music and I love Charles Napier.

The film begins with the petty crook Jake Blues being released from prison on probation. His brother Ellwood takes him to meet the nun who leads the orphanage where they grew up. They find out that the orphanage will be closed because it owes $5000 in back taxes. After visiting a church service they have a religious epiphany and decide that God wants them to raise the money. The nun would never accept stolen money, so they reunite the band that they had before Jake went into prison. If they can play one big concert they'll have enough money.

So far so good. But they have enemies who want to prevent the concert taking place. The police want to arrest Ellwood for driving with a suspended license. A Nazi group wants to kill them for pushing their leaders off a bridge. Jake's ex-fiancee wants to kill him for standing her up at the altar. This leads to ridiculously over-the-top car chases.

There are a few lists online of the best car chases. I don't agree with any of them. I'll make my own list, and this film will definitely make it into the list.


Princess Leia with a big gun? That's enough in itself to make the film worth watching.

I've classified this film as a musical. I don't know if that's technically correct, but it fits my personal definition. The cast breaks into songs at random points, rather than music being performed as in real life. That's why I've classed "Rocketman" as a musical but not "Bohemian Rhapsody", even though they both have the same amount of music in them.


It's always a joy to see Charles Napier in a film, even in a small role. I'll never understand why he didn't become one of Hollywood's greatest stars. Sometimes I think that success in the film business is just a lottery.

The only way I can make up for ignoring "Blues Brothers" for 40 years is to watch it again soon. In my blog "soon" is a vague word. If I don't watch it again within 12 months, I'll buy a beer for the first person to remind me. That's a promise.

Success Rate:  + 1.8

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.