Friday 28 February 2020

Attack of the 60 Foot Centerfold (5 Stars)


I watched this film today in honour of the sadly departed Nikki Fritz, shown here with a chainsaw. I'm not sure why I've waited seven years since last watching it. It's a brilliant film, one of my all time favourites. Maybe it's the poor quality of the DVD that puts me off. The cover notes claim that the film has been digitally remastered! I dread to think what it look liked before, because the picture is still fuzzy.


Nikki Fritz only plays a supporting role in the film, but it's important enough to list this as one of her films, unlike "Witches of Breastwick 2", in which her appearance was little more than a cameo.


She plays Rosita, the girlfriend of Bob Gordon, the owner of Plaything magazine. Here she is giving Bob a shoulder rub. I'm sure fans of Fred Olen Ray's films recognise the actor. It's Jay Richardson. Did he really get paid for sitting by a pool being massaged by Nikki Fritz? Some actors win Oscars, but Jay Richardson doesn't care, he's had much better rewards in his career.


Rosita is a fiercely jealous girlfriend, always watching out for other women.


She doesn't always use chainsaws. Guns are just as efficient.


"Now don't you come near my man again!"


A meat cleaver also does the job.


It was necessary for the film to include this disclaimer in the end credits.


I didn't intend to post screenshots of anyone except Nikki Fritz in this post, but I couldn't resist this one character. Didn't I see him in another film yesterday?

Nikki Fritz
7 April 1968 – 26 February 2020

6 comments:

  1. Damn.
    First i'd heard that we lost Nikki. I think i'll do as you did and revisit with her.

    I loved this one - a lot fun, and shot better than the crap cable remake of Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman. Plus i generally like Jay Richardson's movies. He frequently seemed to be in the stranger and more fun movies of the genre, even if he couldn't compete with the physical talents of his co-stars. J.J. North was already running fairly giant sized before the serum.

    Plus, y'know - Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While watching the film yesterday I made a few screenshots of Michelle Bauer, but I decided not to use them. I wanted to leave the emphasis on Nikki. I don't know if I like Michelle more when she's looking sexy or looking kooky. Tough choice. I forgot until I watched it yesterday that Ted Newsom is also in the film!

      I sent a message to Fred Olen Ray yesterday begging for a remastered version of the film. The DVD quality is poor, which is a shame for such a classic. It's my favourite of all of Fred's films. I like it even more than "Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers".

      Delete
    2. Ha! Would you believe it? Fred replied and told me there won't be a Blu-ray release of the film because Roger Corman has "mislaid the negative".

      Delete
    3. Well, THAT truly sucks. I kept hoping for a release with better vid, and with subtitles. I haven't watched my copy in far too long.

      Looking at this again today, i realized i was too distracted by the loss of Nikki and didn't comment on something interestingly odd. That "invisible man" image has quite the rare artifact in his hands. That issue of Man's Guts he's reading has a cover and some interior art by a young Bruce Timm. I suspect you know his name since he's the guy who pretty much designed the DC Animated Universe after his groundbreaking work on Batman: The Animated Series.
      I wrote about it back when i was blogging in Grizzly Bear Escape From Savage Island Stalked By Sex-Starved Voodoo Girls!

      Damn. It's been a while. I wonder if i typed that code so it will work? I guess we'll find out.
      At least i remembered to tick Notify Me this time.

      Delete
    4. I'm sorry to confess that I'd never heard of Bruce Timm. I've googled him, and his art looks interesting.

      Delete
  2. You may not know the name, but you've surely seen some of his work. For instance, he designed Harley Quinn, whom he co-created with Paul Dini while the two of them were driving Batman: The Animated Series.
    Though not unknown, his is a name i feel more should know.

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.