Thursday 27 February 2020

Wine: Besigheimer Felsengarten Riesling Kastellan

Some of my readers might be wondering why I've stopped writing posts about wine. Is it because I've stopped drinking wine? Of course not! The opposite is the case. I still enjoy drinking wine on a regular basis. However, for me drinking wine is more important than reviewing wine. What I mean is, I don't sample wines at random just so that I can write reviews. I buy the wines that I know I'll enjoy, which are usually wines I've drunk in the past. If I've already reviewed a wine, it's unlikely I'll have something new to write about it a second time.

I'm happy with the Eberbach-Schäfer wines which I've reviewed in the past. They're good wines, and they're convenient. They're sold in a shop close to where I live.

A few years ago I liked to drink the wines of the Besigheimer Felsengarten vineyard. They were sold in a small shop in my village that closed 18 months ago. I would still drink the wines if the shop hadn't closed. A few days ago I saw some of their wines in a supermarket in a neighbouring town, so I grabbed a bottle.

This wine is made from grapes unique to this vineyard. I haven't been able to find a description of what makes the Kastellan grapes different to the standard Riesling grapes. All I can say is that the wine has a more powerful taste, somehow gritty, but in a pleasant way. Besigheimer Felsengarten also makes wine from normal Riesling grapes. It would be interesting to compare the two.

"Aromas of pineapple, peach and honey melon. Elegant, exciting, spicy, delicate".

I wonder who writes those descriptions. It must be a full time job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.