Friday 21 February 2020

Wahnfried: Drums 'n' Balls (1997)


Wahnfried - Drums 'n' Balls

Wahnfried 7

Klaus Schulze (keyboards)

Track Listing:

1. Drums 'n' Balls 15:33
2. Percussy 12:24
3. House of India 15:26
4. Bass of Orion 13:44

Bonus Track:

5. Chicken Biryani 15:21

Rating: 3½ Stars
Bonus Tracks: 4 Stars

This is the seventh album that Klaus Schulze made using the pseudonym Richard Wahnfried. The original release lists six musicians on the album, but Klaus later admitted that it was a solo effort. The only other musician involved, if it can be called an involvement, is an unnamed female singer whose voice is sampled on "House of India".

"Drums 'n' Balls" can be considered a fake Wahnfried album. The whole concept of the Richard Wahnfried albums is that they're collaborations of musicians on equal footings, in contrast to Klaus Schulze's solo albums. This is very much a solo album.

I've been adhering to KDM's numbering of Klaus Schulze's albums as canon. In the liner notes for this album he admits his inconsistency for the first time. Strictly speaking, it should be included in the numbering, but it isn't. Nevertheless, I'll stick to his numbers (many of which are printed on the CD covers) until he suggests something better.

The album's title suggests aggressive music. In actual fact, it's very calm and laid back. It's one of Klaus Schulze's albums that I like least.

The bonus track was recorded a year earlier in 1996. It fits in well, because it uses a recording of the same singer whose voice is used on "House of India".



P.S. Yes, I know that it's been a long time, more than two months since I last reviewed a Klaus Schulze album. It's hard to believe that I haven't listened to any of his music all this time. The only excuse I have is that my personal life has got a lot busier over the last few months. My grandson is getting older, and he's taking up more of my time. So far, the only music of mine that he likes is Rammstein. I'll have to slowly introduce him to Klaus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.