Tuesday 25 February 2020

Take Me High (4½ Stars)


Finally, after all these years, "Take Me High" has been remastered and released on Blu-ray. It wasn't even available on DVD until now, apart from a free DVD given away with the Daily Mail in 2012. It's a film I have a sentimental attachment to. I went to see it in the cinema with my girlfriend Jennifer – I've forgotten her last name – who was the most special of the many girlfriends that I had as a teenager. It was a summer love. I was in my second year of university, she was in her last year of school, and we were together every day in the summer holidays. Looking back, it's obvious to me now that she was messed up. But then again, I've always been drawn to messed up women.

I'm also sentimentally attached to the film because it shows Birmingham the way it looked when I went to university. It was filmed in 1973, but it probably looks familiar to younger people, because it remained this way until the 1990's.

In the photo above, Cliff Richard is walking along Gas Street. The Brasshouse is easily recognisable behind him. It's one of the few old buildings on Broad Street that's still standing.


This screenshot on the corner of Gas Street confuses me. Was there a church next door to the Brasshouse? It must have stood on top of the bridge.


This screenshot shows the top of the church.


This is the same street corner in March 2019, courtesy of Google Maps. The car dealership has been replaced by the O Bar. It's interesting to see that the restaurant Bar-Jee still has the same windows as in 1973.


The bridge under Broad Street in 1973.


The bridge under Broad Street in June 2018. It hasn't changed much. Just a few new buldings on the right.


I don't recognise this street. Can anyone help me? Where's Carl Chinn when I need him?


How many of you remember when cars drove past the Council House?


And past the Town Hall?


And along New Street?


That's Corporation Street, before the tram lines were laid.


Cliff Richard waves to his fans on the corner of New Street and Corporation Street, accompanied by the delightful Deborah Watling.


This picture confuses me. It looks like Corporation Street, but I thought Windsor Arcade connected the North Western Arcade with Bull Street. It's not easy to place some locations, because in the parade scene the images keep jumping from New Street to Corporation Street and back again.

I hope my Birmingham friends will leave comments on this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.