Monday 15 November 2021

Last Night in Soho (5 Stars)


Before I went to the cinema today I didn't realise this was a horror film. I'd seen trailers, but they suggested that it was a time travel story. No, it's a horror film.

Eloise Turner is a naive young girl from Cornwall who's studying fashion in London. She's obsessed with the 1960's, especially the music. Every night she dreams about a girl called Sandie who lived in Soho in 1965. Or is it just a dream? She becomes one with Sandie, and when she wakes up one morning she finds a love bite on her neck that was given to Sandie in her dream. Sandie wants to become a singer, but her manager encourages her to become a prostitute.

As things progress, Eloise doesn't just see Sandie when she's asleep. She has visions of her while she's awake. She's also haunted by the ghosts of the men that Sandie slept with.

I can't say more about the plot without giving away spoilers. Quentin Tarantino's "One upon a Time in Hollywood" has been called a love letter to the 1960's, showing the beauty and glamour of the age. "Last Night in Soho" shows the ugliness of the 1960's.

In my opinion, Edgar Wright is Britain's best director. All his films are magnificent. This is one of the best films of 2021.

4 comments:

  1. It is an awesome movie. Pays us a visit here to check our opinion on Last Night in Soho: www.cineit.blog Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fred. I'm always happy to receive comments from fellow bloggers. I've already checked out your review. You have a great blog!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Mike. I'm gonna make sure I come around here sometimes.

      Delete
    3. The conversational style of your blog is unusual. It looks like a podcast transcript..

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.