Wednesday 10 November 2021

Rings (4 Stars)


I watched this film in the cinema four years ago, but I remembered almost nothing about it. Even my review failed to jog my memory. So I was glad to watch it again today.

"Rings" continues from the previous two films, "The Ring" and "The Ring 2", but without the original characters. A new generation is facing Samara. Technology has progressed over the last 12 years. The film begins with vintage VHS tapes, but Samara's video is soon being copied on USB drives. That's so much easier.

A university professor is supporting the proliferation of the video. He believes the video is proof of the existence of the soul after death. For me this is the weakest part of the film. It doesn't make sense. An anomaly occurs in the latest copy. The video has changed. There are new images that weren't in the previous copies. Samara is still at work, creating digital images with the power of her will.

Julia, the first person to watch the new version of the video, is convinced that Samara wants to find peace by having her body burnt. To do this, she has to be dug up, wherever she is. Unfortunately, Julia is wrong. And that's the closest to a spoiler that I'll get.

It's a good film, worth watching, even if it doesn't reach the quality of the first two instalments. It ends with a hook to introduce the next sequel. I just hope they won't wait another 12 years.

Success Rate:  + 1.3

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.