Friday 19 November 2021

Despicable Me 3 (3½ Stars)



Two Grus are better than one? In the third film Gru finds out that he has a twin brother called Dru. Funny though. "Grus" looks wrong. I have the feeling that I should write the plural of proper names with an apostrophe, i.e. two Gru's, but I searched online and found out that an apostrophe would be false. I'll have to remember that. I love the English language and try to uphold it, but this is a rare example where my feeling leans in the direction of something that's wrong.

The two brothers look identical apart from Dru having a full head of hair. He also has blond eyebrows. They don't look very similar in the picture above. Maybe this one is better:


Or maybe not. Their radically different clothing hides their similarity.

The biggest difference between the two is attitude. Gru has now fully reformed and has given up his life of crime. Dru has never been a criminal, but he wants to be a criminal, so he's always pestering Gru for advice. It's advice that Gru refuses to give. He's now a married man with three adopted daughters, so he's settled down. He can't afford to be sent to prison for 50 years.


In my review of "Despicable Me 2" I included pictures of all three of Gru's daughters. This time I'll only show a screenshot of Edith, because she's the cutest. Just look at that face! Doesn't she melt your heart? Wouldn't she make you want to reform from a life of crime as well?. Her age isn't stated in the film, but her older sister is 12 and her younger sister is six, so she's somewhere in the middle. I have difficulties estimating the age of real children, so with cartoon children it's impossible. I just know Edith is cute.

The film begins with Gru as a permanent member of the Anti Villain League (AVL). In the previous film he was just assisting the AVL. His membership doesn't last long. He's fired because he fails to catch the new master villain, Balthazar Bratt, who's stolen the world's largest diamond. Gru wants to redeem himself by retrieving the diamond, so he enlists the help of his brother. Dru wants to become a criminal, so Gru deceives him. He just says he wants to steal a diamond from someone, without telling him that he's stealing the diamond from a thief to give it back.


The film has all the slapstick and wild humour of the previous films, but something indefinable is missing. I can't say what it is. Maybe the problem is that we don't see as much of the Minions as we did in the previous films. That's just a Maybe. Early in the film they desert Gru because he refuses to return to a life of crime after being fired from the AVL. Only his two most loyal Minions, Dave and Jerry, remain with him. But evidently I'm in the minority with my opinion. "Despicable Me 3" is the most successful film in the franchise so far, and it's the fourth most successful animated film ever made.


"Lucy, please tell me what's wrong with this film".

Success Rate:  + 10.9

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.