Monday 22 September 2014

The Killer Inside Me (3¾ Stars)


This is a twisted, though somehow fascinating drama, set in a small town in Texas in the 1950's. It was difficult for me to rate. I can appreciate the film's quality on so many levels, such as the atmosphere, the plot and the acting. On the other hand there are scenes that disgusted me so much that I wanted to turn it off. I could have given the film any rating between 1 and 4 stars, depending on my mood.

Lou Ford (Casey Affleck) is the deputy sheriff in Central City, Texas. Despite the grand sound of its name, Central City is actually only a small town in which everyone knows everyone. The only justification for its name is that it really is in the middle of Texas. Lou has a beautiful girlfriend, a school teacher called Amy (Kate Hudson), with whom he has a torrid sado-masochistic relationship, but she isn't enough for him. When he's asked by the town's biggest employer, the owner of a construction company, to run a prostitute (Jessica Alba) out of town who has had an affair with the employer's son, Lou begins an affair with her. Another sado-masochistic affair. Lou likes to hit women, and they enjoy it.

I personally have been involved in the S&M scene, on various levels, since I was at university. This isn't the place to describe my past in detail, but I do have fixed ideas on the subject which are rejected by many others in the scene, although I am convinced that I am right. I know that there are people, both men and women, who experience a certain amount of sexual pleasure out of being dominated, even if the domination involves being hurt. There are both men and women who act as dominants, either acting gently as loving dominants, or acting harshly as cruel dominants. In either case, especially the latter, it's the official party line of the S&M scene that whatever happens must be consensual. It's usual that in S&M relationships the submissive person has a "safe word" which he/she can use when he wants the dominant person to stop what he's doing. This has led to the commonly stated misconception that the submissive is really the one who is in control.

Based on my experience I am strongly of the opinion that men are ill-suited as dominants. Dominant men are unable to stop when they're sexually aroused and often go too far. A problem with men, both dominant and submissive, is that they consider the domination to be foreplay for sexual intercourse, whereas women can enjoy domination without sex. This means that domination by a man can frequently lead to rape. It's also my experience that dominant men tend to be below average intelligence, which further complicates the issue.

I don't know if Lou Ford is based on any real person, but to me he's a typical dominant male. Women submit to him, so he hurts them, but he's unable to stop, and the domination turns into abuse. In this film he kills the women that he's involved with, and then he's forced to kill men to hide what he's done. He's a disgusting creature.

Please leave comments if you agree or disagree with what I've written. Maybe I can go into the subject in more detail.

6 comments:

  1. I understand what you say and I agree completely. Women who allow men to be doms are stupid. I dont go to bdsm parties because I dont want to be in a room with the dumb doms strutting and posing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Dumb doms"? That's exactly what a friend of mine used to call them. I haven't seen her for years.

      Delete
    2. You dont remember much do you? You told me that already. It was so funny and so right that I cant forget it.

      Delete
    3. That's possible. I've known you for a long time. I met you in 2006 when you were 18. I remember that because we met in the Riff. I only went there a few months, and I stopped going after the owners changed. It wasn't as good with the new owner.

      Delete
    4. Right year wrong age. I was 16 when I met you. When I was 16 I told evryone I was 18 so I could get into clubs. I used to be a wild girl lol. I've calmed down now.

      Delete
    5. You were only 16 when I met you? You seemed a lot older. It wasn't just the way you looked, your attitude was mature as well. That's a shock for me. Wow!

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.