Friday 6 July 2018

In Bruges (5 Stars)


I mentioned recently that I've been looking through my DVD collection for films that I haven't watched since September 2010 when I started my blog. Surprisingly, this is one of them. How could I have forgotten this brilliant film? I don't know if "forgotten" is the right word. I could clearly remember the plot and many of the scenes, but I'd forgotten how good it is. I sat laughing out loud as I re-watched it this evening.


Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are two of the world's best actors. I doubt many people would disagree with me. Their onscreen charisma is overwhelming. They play two Irish hit men who have been ordered by their boss to hide in Bruges after an assassination was botched. Ken (Brendan Gleeson) is an older, experienced assassin. Ray (Colin Farrell) is a young man who is suffering from guilt after messing up his first job. Ken wants to spend time enjoying the sights of Bruges. Ray hates the town and can't wait to get back to England.

"I grew up in Dublin, so I love Dublin. If I'd grown up on a farm and was retarded Bruges might impress me, but I didn't, so it doesn't".

I can't say much more without giving away the plot to those of you who haven't seen it yet. The scenery of Bruges is beautiful, but somehow sterile. It's easy to see how some could love it while others hate it. The placid appearance is in stark contrast to the subculture of drugs and violence.

The film was made in 2008 and directed by Martin McDonagh, who has recently become famous for his film "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri". That's doubtlessly a good film, but "In Bruges" is his greatest masterpiece so far.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.