Thursday 19 November 2020

Suspiria [2018] (2 Stars)


When I saw this film in the cinema two years ago, I gave it the benefit of the doubt. I didn't completely understand what was happening, so I thought I would be able to judge it better after watching it again. Today I finally returned to the film, and I understand most of what happened. The after-credits scene still puzzles me. Now that I understand the film, I have to say that I don't like it. There are a lot of good ideas, but that's the problem: there are too many ideas thrown together. There's no reason to include the news reports of the Baader Meinhof Gang and the hijacked plane in Mogadishu. I'm old enough to remember these events, but they'll only confuse younger viewers. The tales of Nazi persecution are interesting, but unnecessary in this film. As for the Berlin Wall, why do we have to see it in the background of so many scenes? There are too many spurious details.

The original version of this film was simpler. The lack of complexity made it better. The remake is beautiful and stylistic, but it's a bloated failure.

And what's the point in having Tilda Swinton play three different roles?

Success Rate:  - 2.6

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.