Sunday 8 August 2021

Sonic the Hedgehog (4½ Stars)



Yes, I know it's Sunday. You don't have to remind me. I missed my Amazon Friday film two days ago, so I'm catching up now. The reason is simple. My son Benjamin was visiting me. He's also a member of Amazon Prime, so when he visits me he wants to watch one of my many films on Blu-ray. I picked "Horsemen of the Apocalypse" for him. I'd already selected "Sonic the Hedgehog" for Friday, so I'm watching it today. Better late than never. Isn't that what they say?

This is a comedy caper based on a video game. A blue hedgehog called Sonic flees from enemies on his homeworld and hides on Earth; specifically, he hides in Green Hills, Montana. He avoids detection for ten years, until one evening he accidentally creates an electromagnetic pulse while playing baseball with himself. There's a power outage in the whole of the Pacific North West region. The government calls for the eccentric scientist Dr. Robotnik to find the cause.


This is a wonderful film that kept me laughing from beginning to end. Jim Carrey's portrayal of Dr. Robotnik annoyed me at first, but I got used to it as the film progressed. I have to compare this film with "Godzilla vs Kong", which I watched in the cinema yesterday. The plot is just as infeasible, but in the context of a comedy it's acceptable. Despite being a comedy, all the main characters are fully developed. This is how a film should be made.

Success Rate:  + 1.8

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.