Wednesday 4 August 2021

Touch of Evil (4 Stars)


Today I watched the 1996 "restored version" after watching the theatrical version two weeks ago. The differences aren't as extreme as I expected. In comparison, more has been removed from the theatrical version than has been inserted. From what I read, the changes made by Aaron Stell were intended to make the film easier to understand. I don't see what the big deal is. I wouldn't have any problems understanding the restored version.

Having said that, I have to say that I greatly enjoyed the film. The story is fascinating, and I like the atmosphere of the 1950's border towns. My main criticism, as in the theatrical version, is that the comedy scenes with Anthony Perkins are out of place in the otherwise dark film. I believe that his scenes are slightly longer in the restored version.

Charlton Heston plays his role to perfection. He even looks Mexican! He does a commentary track on the restored version. It would be interesting to listen to it. Soon.

Success Rate:  + 0.7

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.