Sunday 29 August 2021

The Hitman's Bodyguard (3½ Stars)



Yes, I know. This is the third time in a row that I've published my Amazon Friday post on a Sunday. Maybe I should just give up and rename it Amazon Sunday. But if I do that, I probably won't write my post until Tuesday, so I'd better leave it as it is. I know my readers are laughing about me, especially the ones who know me personally.

I picked this film today because the film's sequel, "The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard", is currently in the cinemas. I don't know whether I want to watch it. Both films star Samuel L. Jackson, one of my favourite actors, but they also star Ryan Reynolds. He's very much hit or miss, as far as his films go. I have no doubts about his acting ability, but he's made a large number of bad films. He even jokingly acknowledges this in the mid-credits sequence of "Deadpool 2". He accepted film roles that he should have turned down, and he knows it.

In "The Hitman's Bodyguard" Ryan Reynolds plays Michael Bryce, an AAA certified professional bodyguard, who lost his reputation after one of his clients was killed on his watch. He can't get top profile jobs any more, until his ex-girlfriend asks him to guard Darius Kincaid, a professional hitman who has to give evidence at a war crimes tribunal in The Hague.

The two have met in the past, and Bryce looks down on Kincaid. He thinks he's better, because he saves people's lives while Kincaid kills people. It's not that simple. Bryce will guard anyone for money. He doesn't judge his clients. Kincaid is different. He has a conscience, so he only kills those who deserve to die, whether they're criminals or corrupt politicians.


On the plus side, the acting by the two main characters is superb. There are multiple car chases, including a spectacular five-minute chase involving cars, motorbikes and a speedboat through the centre of Amsterdam.

On the negative side, the plot is highly infeasible. It's difficult to take things seriously. The details of the history between the two men are unclear. Evidently Kincaid has attempted to kill Bryce 27 times in the past. Why? I thought Kincaid would only want to kill Bryce's clients.

Compared with Ryan Reynolds' other films, this is average. Not the worst, but far from the best. I still don't know whether I'll watch "The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard" in the cinema. I'll decide at short notice.

Success Rate:  + 3.9

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.