Sunday 1 January 2023

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (4 Stars)


This film should have been called "Ghostbusters: The Next Generation". The original Ghostbusters have been replaced by younger actors. Almost replaced; they appear briefly at the end to join in the fight, but all they do is delay the enemies, giving the youngsters time to win the battle.


Phoebe and Trevor are the grandchildren of Egon Spengler. Phoebe (12) is a scientific genius, advanced far beyond her age. Trevor (15) isn't very smart, but he knows how to repair cars, so he isn't completely useless.


Lucky is a waitress in a local restaurant. She gets involved because Trevor has a crush on her. Can you blame him? Her age isn't stated, but I assume she's slightly older than Trevor, because he pretends to be 17 when he chats her up.


The boy called Podcast is probably the same age as Phoebe. We never find out his real name, but he calls himself Podcast because he has a podcast. Duh! It's the only thing that the small town of Summerville in Oklahoma is known for. I'd call myself Blogger, but after 27 years as Dancer I don't want to change my name. Yes, I know exactly when I started calling myself Dancer. It was when I signed up for my first Internet account in 1995. I had to pick a username for myself, and it quickly became my nickname.

There was a long delay with the film's release. It was completed in early 2020 and scheduled for release in July 2020, but it was delayed until November 2021 because of the Coronavirus pandemic. That stupid virus has messed up the film industry!

There's some name confusion over the film. Many call it "Ghostbusters 3", even though the 2016 film was previously called "Ghostbusters 3". Maybe it deserves the name more. It refers to the first Ghostbusters film, though not the second. Should it be called "Ghostbusters 2a"?

Whatever it's called, it's a good film, even if it's not as humorous as the previous films. I hope the promised sequels with the young cast will be made while they still look young.

Success Rate:  + 0.7

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.