Thursday 5 February 2015

Inherent Vice (2½ Stars)

The New York Post complains about this film being confusing, and goes on to say, "Five minutes after it ends you won't remember the resolution". That's a good point. Now I come to think about it, I don't remember how the film ended, or how the film's many loose ends were tied up.

I was confused from the beginning. Not having read any reviews before I went to the cinema today, I didn't even realise that the main character, Larry Sportello aka Doc (Joaquin Phoenix), was a private investigator until 15 minutes into the film. He just seemed like an unemployed hippy wandering around trying to help his friends. There were too many people running around doing too many things for me to keep up without being able to pause the film and makes notes. A story this complex might be interesting as a novel, but it's not good material for a film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.