Sunday 3 February 2019

The Hateful Eight (4 Stars)


Quentin Tarantino wasted his effort on a gimmick. Why did he make this film in Ultra Panavision 70, an extra widescreen production with a ratio of 2.76:1? The only result of this gimmick is to make the picture smaller. Typical cinemas have screens with a ratio between 2:1 and 2.2:1. This means that the film has to be reduced in vertical size in order to fit the full width. On television screens it's even worse. There are some widescreen sets with a ratio of 21:9 (2:33:1), but the standard ratio is 16:9 (1:77:1). Quentin Tarantino's gimmick has degraded the picture quality.

Of Quentin Tarantino's eight films this is the weakest. I hope his future films will be gimmick-free.

By the way, shouldn't it be the Hateful Nine? That's how many people are in the cabin. Apologists who defend the film title say that the coach driver, O. B. Jackson, shouldn't be included, but he's as significant as everyone else.



Jim Jones at Botany Bay

Listen for a moment, lads,
And hear me tell my tale,
How over the sea from England shore
I was condemned to sail,
A jury found me guilty, Sir,
And said the judge, said he,
"For life, Jim Jones, I sentence you
Across the stormy sea.

You'll have no chance of mischief there,
Remember what I say.
They´ll flog the poaching out of you
Out there in Botany Bay".
The waves were high upon the sea,
The winds approaching gales,
I´d rather drown in misery
Than come to New South Wales.

The waves were high upon the sea
When the pirates came along,
But the soldiers on our convict ship
Were full five hundred strong,
They opened fire and somehow drove
That pirate ship away,
I'd rather join that pirate ship
Than go to Botany Bay.

And one dark night, when everything
Is quiet in the town,
I'll kill you bastards one and all,
I'll gun the floggers down,
Give them all a little shock,
Remember what I say,
They'll yet regret they sent Jim Jones
In chains to Botany Bay.

Now day and night the irons clang
And like poor galley slaves
We toil and toil, and when we die
Must fill dishonoured graves,
By and by, I'll break my chains,
Into the bush I'll go,
And you'll be dead behind me, John,
When I get to Mexico.



Success Rate:  + 1.5

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.