Friday 3 May 2019

Lying (1 Star)


This is a new record for me. It's the first time I've ever watched a film that I absolutely hate three times. The first time was in September 2010, just before I started writing my blog. I know that because Amazon records when I ordered items. I hated it immediately. I watched it again in October 2016 as part of my Leelee Sobieski marathon. I still hated it. Today I picked it up again, because I was certain the film must have some redeeming qualities. It doesn't.

A woman called Megan meets three other young women at a yoga class. She invites them to stay a few days at her country house. Megan's brother Henry turns up on the first evening, but she insists that he leaves. Girls only.

For the next three days the girls eat, sleep, chat and drink wine. They engage in meaningless conversation. The highlight of the stay is when they pretend to be feeding plastic dolls on the lawn; pink food parcels for the girls and blue food parcels for the boys. The three guests leave when they find out that Megan is lying about her age and her finances.


Jena Malone looks bored, but not as bored as I was watching the film. My only interest today was laughing at the stupid dialogue. For instance, here's a scene with Megan and her brother:

Megan: "What did you say?"

Henry: "Nothing".

Megan: "Yes you did. You just said something".

Henry: "I didn't say anything".

Megan: "You said something about pizza".

Henry: "No I didn't".

Megan: "You said like really quick, like is there pizza or I want pizza".

Henry: "No I didn't, I was just sitting here".

Megan: "Dude, you said that, I swear".

Long pause. Henry has a puzzled look on his face.

Henry: "I don't think I said anything".

Megan: "Yes you did".

Henry: "Really?"

Megan nods seven times.

Henry: "I don't know".

Megan: "I just thought it sounded funny".

Henry: "Did I?"

Megan nods.

Henry: "Hmm".

Another long pause.

Henry: "Well do you?"

Megan: "What?"

Henry: "Pizza".

Megan: "No, Henry". 

This is just one example of many insipidly meaningless conversations.


Here's a challenge. If anyone who knows this film can name one good reason why it deserved to be made, I'll buy you a drink. Otherwise I'll continue my life in the knowledge that this is one of the worst films ever made, a painful waste of the time and efforts of the film's highly talented actresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.