Wednesday 1 May 2019

The 51st State (5 Stars)


Pure genius. When I re-watched it last year for the first time since starting my blog I said it was a film I ought to watch more often. I shan't forget it again, even if it means ignoring the films on my ever-growing re-watch list. Maybe I should dedicate one day a week to re-watching one of my favourite films, whether it's on the list or not. How about having a Five Star Friday? That sounds like a good idea. It just came to me spontaneously while writing this post. I'll have to think it over.


"The 51st State" excels through its sheer insanity. Why does Samuel L. Jackson wear a kilt? It just seems to be an excuse for jokes throughout the film. He does have attractive knees that he wants to show off. Even the elite assassin Emily Mortimer is impressed, although she only trusts him when she's holding a gun.


I don't know Liverpool. I've seen photos, but I've never visited the city, not even once. However, I get the impression that the film is an ode to Liverpool. I'm guessing that the landmarks and street scenes scattered randomly in the film would make people who know Liverpool say "Ah ha".

I'm not writing more today. I'll leave it until the next time I watch "The 51st State". It won't be too long. Maybe a year, maybe two, but no longer. It's a film that deserves to be watched frequently. Come to think of it, I should watch all of Ronny Yu's films frequently. He's an amazing director who can't put a foot wrong. I need to add his other films to my re-watch list, even though it will make the list even longer. I should give up all hope of ever reducing the list to zero.

Success Rate:  - 1.9

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

2 comments:

  1. I liked that one too! Do film names change geographically? I swear it's called Formula 51 here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to Wikipedia, "For its US release, the film was renamed Formula 51 as the original title was seen as potentially offensive to American audiences".

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.